The YMCA Youth Conference on National Affairs was started in 1968 as a follow-up to the outstanding state Youth in Government programs conducted by the YMCA throughout the US. The success of the conference is directly attributed to the leadership of many YMCA Professionals and Laymen but primarily to the dedication of the Youth involved. Last year, young people from thirty-three states and the District of Columbia participated in the Conference.
The 2013 Conference will be held June 29 - July 4.
The objectives of the program are:
- To gain an awareness of National concerns and issues.
- To increase understanding of Federal Government and its relation to State, National and International matters.
- To have and use a means for communicating concerns about National Affairs to appropriate persons and groups at Federal Government levels.
- To develop increased understanding of needs, responsibilities and opportunities.
- To work creatively together with young adults and adults.
- To help youth and adults to better understand and strengthen their values for living through the Christian objectives of the YMCA.